Experiments in home decorating, DIYing, and vintage furniture collecting.

5 reasons you should fill your home with vintage furniture

| On
October 04, 2015

Vintage is just a fancy way of saying really old, and very used - both qualities that I prioritize when hunting for furniture. I am anti-Ikea. For some reason, it is important to me that my furniture has character. This dresser has plenty. But there's more than just character that makes vintage furniture such an amazing addition to a room. Here are just a few reasons to consider:

#1 The quality can't be beat

They don't make it like they used to, that's for sure. I love that this vintage dress is SOLID and HEAVY, that it has dovetail drawers and  curved wood. And that the drawers pull out smoothly, are lined in cedar, and have room for everything that a MALM dresser promises and more. And I love that my mom took one look at it and told me to hold on to it for life. 

#2 It's the most economical source of furniture (if you're willing to hunt)

This dresser was a $50 Craigslist find. Need I say more?

#3 A little patina is the 'je ne sais quoi' of amazing decor

For those new to the vintage market, patina is the sheen on wooden furniture that's a product of age, wear, polishing and general exposure to the elements. It's protective and also beautiful. When I first bought this dresser, I meant to refinish it but decided that I kind of liked the distressed-from-years-of-wear look.

#4 Vintage pieces are timeless

Having pieces from different eras and made from a variety of materials means that you can take your collection anywhere and it will work. This dresser fit in perfectly with my crooked kitchen cabinets and hodgepodge collection of furnishings I picked up at Goodwill, flea markets, and the curb in my first real apartment, and it's traveled with me to many different cities and homes since then. 


#5 Vintage pieces are functional, not precious

Because I bought this dresser for $50 to serve as a TV stand, I've never been scared to place my coffee mugs on it and have never treated it like a precious gem. Instead, it's been a functional piece of furniture that's part of my everyday life. It's become my favorite piece of furniture, the place where I organize my jewelry for the week, store my collection of perfumes, and display my favorite (equally distressed) cowboy boots.


Did you love this post? If yes, please follow me on Bloglovin' or join the email list for updates.