Experiments in home decorating, DIYing, and vintage furniture collecting.

Hannah's colorful, eclectic and modern space

| On
December 30, 2015

A couple of months ago, I came across Hannah Hagler's blog and fell in love with her eclectic and bold sense of interior style built on her mantra that you can live a fabulous life without spending a ton of money. Hannah agreed to let me interview her and virtually tour her home, and I found lots of really great (and super affordable) ideas to file away for future projects.

 Read below for the full interview!

Tell us about your place!

I live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo built in the 1970's in Orange County, CA. I share the space with my boyfriend Jesse and two fur children (a chihuahua mix and a Pomeranian mix) and we are one happy family! I wish we had a great story of how horrific the place was when we first got it - but truth is, it had amazing bones! There was detailed crown molding, brass fixtures, and French doors to name a few. I would say the worst part was the hideous pale purple bathroom. Luckily, it gave me an excuse to splurge on the banana leaf wallpaper I had been eyeing for years.  




How would you describe your interior style?  
My style is Hollywood Regency with a touch of Mid-Century Modern. I like to have a mixture of old and new pieces.  

Can you share some of your most brag-worthy DIYs? 
My favorite DIY project to date are my Dorothy Draper IKEA nightstands. They look so much more expensive than they actually were and people never believe they started out as IKEA dressers. 


What is your favorite room in your place, and why? 
The living room is my favorite because it is the most spacious part of the house, and it is where everyone gathers when we have guests over. Our couch is extremely deep because we had it custom made. I wanted the space of a sectional without the look of a sectional and it is a dream. Also, from the living room you can see the dining room and the sputnik chandelier which is my favorite piece... it has truly brought the room together. 

What has been your biggest design challenge? 
The kitchen is closed off, which I love because it allows the dining room and living room to be more formal... but it had an awkward empty corner. I ended up putting a bistro-type table and chairs there which works to fill the space, but I'd be lying if I said we ever used it. 





What do people say when they come to your home for the first time
People are always really surprised by the high ceilings.  Since we live in a condo, you think you are walking into a closed-in space. The next thing they point out is the sputnik chandelier -- it is always a conversation piece. 

What is the best advice you've gotten on designing your home? 
Take GOOD measurements when picking furniture. If something isn't the right size, it will throw the whole space off. 


What are your favorite sources for interior inspiration? 
I am a Pinterest junkie... I have found so much inspiration from there. I also love anything Kelly Wearstler touches, so I will look at places she's designed for inspiration. 

Favorite budget decor sources?
Craigslist! Some of my BEST furniture pieces are from Craigslist, and I would not consider any of them to be expensive. I also love flea markets, furniture consignment stores, and Etsy. 

Thanks, Hannah!

All photos are courtesy of Hannah Hagler.