Experiments in home decorating, DIYing, and vintage furniture collecting.

How to create a beautiful, eclectic living room

| On
June 17, 2015

Moving every year has really demonstrated how the basic, functional pieces like my oatmeal linen Crate and Barrel sofa are a great blank canvas for the unique, vintage items I've found over the years. If you start with one basic, contemporary-yet-timeless piece to center the room, it's an easy to hunt vintage shops, Craigslist and specialty stores for additional seating, tables, and eccentric accessories. The challenge is knowing what to look for, and how to tie it all together.


In my experience, I've learned that items with different textures, metals, woods, and periods mix really well but it took a lot of exploring to realize it. Wandering through vintage shops is a great way to find inspiration and discover things that you never knew you always wanted (like a hippo side table, for example) and following places that curate great vintage design. One of my favorites is Revision Home, an upscale vintage furniture and decor appointment-only warehouse in Chicago. You can subscribe to their email list for updates on new art, furniture and decor that they're sourcing. It's a great way to discover new (old) styles and ideas to guide your own hunt. For example, wouldn't this vintage cabinet be so much more interesting than a run-of-the-mill, everyone-has-it West Elm media stand?

I'm currently stalking their art collection as part of my research for upping my wall decor game (more to come on that topic...)


Photo credit: Revision Home

Did you love this post? If yes, please follow me on Bloglovin' or join the email list for updates.